Back story: I am doing a basic redesign for a friend of mine’s father. He has a financial newsletter and HAD a website with a .com that expired, which then was picked up by a domain sitter type company. He then bought the .net and wanted his old site up, but it was done in Cold Fusion, and I am pretty sure you need a special server for that. So I am redoing it in php. It was so bad looking, I couldn’t take looking at it anymore (we are talking 90′s look here), so I went with a clean and easy new look.
Anyway, I put the home page up, which has an order toll free tagline on it it, with a phone number. The crazy thing is, the stupid number would NOT show up. I thought NetBeans (IDE I use) was blocking something. After an hour of screwing around and not finding the issue, I go to bed. Next day, I am at work, and looked at it quickly there. And I’ll be damned if the number is there! At that point, I was thoroughly confused. Same Firefox 3.6.
I then use google to search for a bunch of different terms, and finally get the answer.
I’m not sure how I got the actual plugin, because I don’t remember downloading it. But I had the Skype extension installed and enabled, AND the Browser Highlighter addon (an extension by ebay). I disable both of these, and the scripts and inputs disappear, and the phone number on the page is now showing.